Somalia government has downplayed media reports suggesting al-Shabaab ordered an immediate halt to the ongoing renovation at Mogadishu Stadium.
Authorities said they plan to unveil the biggest sporting facility in the coming months.
Led by Deputy Prime Minister, Mahdi Mohamed Glued officials who inspected the ongoing renovation at the sports village on Monday denied the reports.
Speaking during a press conference inside the stadium, Information Minister, Mohamed Hayir Mareye said they are investigating the alleged origin of the report.
“The renovation work is ongoing and it will not stop,” Mareye said, adding “No threats can halt the development and reconstruction across the country.”
“We call upon the public and private media to desist from propaganda reports that encourage terror groups.”
An exclusive news story by Universal TV reported that the construction at Somalia’s main stadium stopped following threats by the armed group al-Shabaab.
AMISOM troops vacated the stadium on August last year following a request by the Somali government.
President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo later announced the renovation of the stadium to boost growing sports activities in the country.